So here is real time application:
- Body temperature: Do you perspire? an appropriate amount?
- Solid waste management: How are your bowels? Do things move, at least once a day or on another regular pattern?
- Liquid waste management: What about urination? How often - is it appropriate for the amount you drink? Is it so much that it is disrupting sleep and activities?
- Sleep and rest: Are you sleeping? Do you have trouble falling asleep? Do you stay asleep? Do you wake during the night? Are you rested upon waking in the morning?
- Nourishment: What is your appetite like? Are you nourished or undernourished?
I have simplified here, because as acupuncturists we may go into great depth about each of these. And yet, it is this simple at the same time. If you pay attention to these 5 systems, you can be really clear about the state of your wellbeing. These are the systems that inform us of our state of ease and dis-ease (mind, body and spirit). In dis-ease, these systems will get wonky, they may even fail altogether over time.
Consider conducting a once-over each day as you prepare to launch your personal vessel out into the world. After all, it's your body, your life...!
Thank you Bob, dear teacher, for reminding me of this as I participated in your class on Monday.